Saturday, January 15, 2011

Red House Painters- Down Colorful Hill/ Rollercoaster


Rhys wanted to do a blog post on the happiest, most feel-good music of all time. Here it is

A few months ago, I thought it'd be a good idea to listen to three Red House Painters albums in one consecutive sitting. Needless to say, I came out of it far more depressed than I was before I commenced this undertaking, and until recently have avoided listening to the Red House Painters. Such is the immense power of this band- they are easily the most heartbreaking, soul crushingly depressing, emotionally tiring band I have heard. I consider them to be one of my favourite bands, yet I listen to them very rarely due to the profound effect they have on me. Mark Kozelek is an amazing singer and his lyrics are heartbreakingly beautiful in their simplicity. I highly recommend both Down Colorful Hill (their first album) and Red House Painters (Rollercoaster), they both rank equally in terms of greatness in my books. They aren't the kind of albums you'll find yourself listening to regularly, but ultimately every listen is rewarding, however you may find you need to allow time to recuperate before listening to more Red House Painters.



Download - Down Colorful Hill

Download - Rollercoaster

No comments:

Post a Comment