Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Big Blood- Strange Maine Nov. 04, 2006


My my there is a lot to say about Big Blood. Big Blood and their other projects (Cerberus Shoal, Fire on Fire) have definitely been the best musical discovery I have had all year (THANKS AXEL!) They are  Caleb Mulkerin and Colleen Kinsella from Maine in the USA and they make lots of really really great music (so fucking prolific). They have realeased 14 albums (1 with The Bleedin' Hearts and one with Visitations) and 1 EP since 2006. Infuckingsane. They tend to release their albums simply as CD-R's by themselves. They did one properly through a small-time label I think. A bunch of the early stuff they released was named after shows they would be playing. I guess they just sold the albums at these shows or gave them out. I don't know what you would call Big Blood, maybe freak-folk, maybe psychadelic-folk, maybe avant-folk. I don't know, plus these classifications don't mean much. Anyway screw introductions, I want to talk about this album.

Ok this is their second album (I haven't been able to find the first anywhere). It is also definitely one of their best. The first 3 songs are some of my favourite Big Blood songs, especially 'A Friendly Noose'. I listened to this album today after totally binging on their most recent album. In contrast it is definitely more folky. I have read that they essentially record everything live. The production is always fucking amazing, and it does so much to enhance the music.

I can't think of much more to say about this one. I guess it is somewhat understated compared to the others. But that is probably a stupid observation. Basically it is just one of their most solid albums. It has some totally bitchin' tracks. and as a whole it works really nicely. IT'S TITS!

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment