Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Alvarius B - Blood Operatives of the Barium Sunset



I read the best description of this album from a review on it on RYM. the dude said "the album made me want to go and take a shower. It was like being smothered by a fat, hairy and sweaty man while a mariachi band played in the background."

This person did not particularly like the album. screw them. this description is hillarious though. If this hasn't sold it for you yet, I guess I will try to.

Alvarius B (aka. Alan Bishop) was one third of one of the most awesome, bat-shit insane bands ever, Sun City Girls. This probably explains the excerpt above for most people, I am guessing. Sir Richard apparently backs Alan on this album. The album is full of these demented folk songs, that according to the liner notes are "based on actual, but unnamed, shady characters of the global underworld past and present." He even does a cover of the Ennio Morricone track 'Dirty Angels'. It is fantastic.

It is less bat-shit insane than any Sun City Girls album I have heard. Hell, it is almost coherent. It is certainly more produced sounding as well, but that is not to saying much. The songs are catchy, and they have this drunken-singalong vibe to me, but they are delivered as sort of distant, like bedroom recordings. Oh, and don't forget creepy, it is really creepy!

I have uploaded the album to megaupload. I guess I will remove the link after a bit. Anyway give this a listen, I am sure most people will enjoy it.

Download

No comments:

Post a Comment