Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Cherry Blossoms - s/t


This has been one of my favourite albums for the past 6 months. It is seriously incredible. Everyone should be loving it.

I would say they are "Drunk folk"; they say that they are a "shaggy folk collective"; a "sprawling folk band"; and an "unclassifiable, sprawling folk collective" who play "sublime, freewheeling folk." Self described as "Middle Tennessee's finest anarchic post neo-skiffle collective specializing in kazoo-exotica."

So The Cherry Blossoms are from Nashville. I think this album was orginally released digitally in 2000 (I think), but in 2007 it was relased as an LP, with 2 less tracks. My sources tell me that the two songs tagged on at the end were removed for the 2007 release, which is good because they really are throwaways.

The album is so charming ('charming', how gay is that?) It is like these messy, sprawling folk songs that are all recorded very lo-fi. But it is all so endearing and charming (there it is again). If this doesn't make you smile I am going to assume that you are a robot, or german. I was going to say that it was front-loaded, but the 12 songs are all completely genius. I really forget how great this album is until I listen to it. It is only the two songs on the end that kinda suck, but they knew that. I will still upload all 14 songs.

They throw in a cover of 'Godzilla', which doesn't rock like BOC (those bitchin' mofos), but jesus it is a tonne of fun. Yeah, seriously. What more could you want. I am gonna say it, this is one of the best albums ever. Apparently the band still have copies of the LP, but it looks like they only sell them at shows. But I dunno, if you really want a hard copy of the album you could probably try emailing them or something, I might do that. They seem like nice peeps.

Download

3 comments:

  1. I comment, therefor I am.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shit I forgot to mention the kazoo. there is so much kazoo. kazoo is good. real damn good.

    ReplyDelete