Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes - Ame Debout



Dayum, Catherine Ribeiro has a hell of a voice. She is a goddamn beast (with her voice, not her appearence). In fact she is actually a total babe, and French (which i suppose explains said 'babeness'). Oh and in 1971 she released one hell of a prog-folk album, backed by one hell of a band (being '+ Alpes'). I have really gone to town on parentheses so far, I will stop (ha, no I won't).

I will keep this relatively short (out of pure laziness). The first track, the title track, is a fucking monster. The band establish an intense, driving groove, and it straight up rules. Ms Ribeiro then comes in with that voice. Oh yeah, the vocals are all in French (makes sense). I wonder how much I am missing out on by not being able to understand the lyrics. Well her frenchy grunts are enough for me, and far more sexy than English grunts. The percussion drops in and out in the song, swinging between these dreamy sort of moments, with the powerful and intense driving rhythm.

From here the album starts going more in the dreamier/psychadelic direction. It is solid all the way through. I especially like the album in the parts where she is growling/screaming over heavy percussion. It just sounds and feels so primal. Makes me want to get all primal with her (INNAPROPRIATE).

This album is a monster.

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic album...I just wrote about it too on my music blog. Thanks for sharing and keeping the interest alive; maybe someday we can actually get CD reissues of these lost gems.

    ReplyDelete